Glossary of Insurance Terms


As a rental property owner, one of your key responsibilities is to ensure the safety of your property and mitigate any potential risks – which is why you should consider taking out different types of landlord insurance.

Landlord insurance, as the name suggests, is designed to protect landlords from risks associated with their rental properties. It covers various damages to the property, loss of rental income, and liability claims. This type of insurance is a great way to safeguard your investment and have peace of mind.

Trying to understand exactly what landlord insurance covers can be a bit tricky, especially when you’re new to the game, and there are so many policy options to choose from. 

So, in this article, we’ll guide you through the various types of landlord insurance available in Australia, helping you understand each one’s benefits and decide which one is right for you.

Why Landlord Insurance is Essential

Living in Australia, we often hear about cyclones in Queensland, bushfires in New South Wales, or storms in Victoria. These natural disasters can cause significant damage to properties, leaving landlords with substantial repair bills. 

Beyond unpredictable weather, there’s also the risk of accidental or even intentional damage caused by tenants. You might also face legal issues or income loss if a tenant fails to pay rent.

Landlord insurance offers a safety net for these potential pitfalls, providing financial protection.

Different Types of Landlord Insurance

There are several types of landlord insurance available in Australia. Each type offers different coverage; the best one depends on your specific needs and circumstances.

Comprehensive Landlord Insurance

Comprehensive landlord insurance is the most inclusive type of coverage. It provides protection against a wide array of risks, including property damage, legal liability, and loss of rental income.

This type of insurance is ideal for landlords who want to have all-encompassing coverage. It will help you sleep easily at night, knowing that your investment property is well protected against most potential risks.

However, it’s worth noting that comprehensive can be more expensive than other types of landlord insurance. But for many landlords, its peace of mind is worth the extra cost.

Building Insurance

Your building is likely your most significant investment as a landlord. Building insurance is designed to protect the physical structure of your property, including the walls, roof, and any fixtures and fittings, such as built-in wardrobes or a fitted kitchen.

With a building insurance policy, you’re covered against fire, flooding, vandalism, and more. It can also cover rebuilding or repairing your property if it’s damaged.

Note: While this insurance can provide robust coverage for your property, it does not cover your rental income or contents within the property.

Contents Insurance

As a landlord, you might provide some furnishings or appliances for your rental property. Content landlord insurance provides coverage for these items against risks like theft, damage, or loss.

Landlords with fully or partially furnished rental properties are particularly likely to benefit from this type of insurance. It’s also a good option if you provide appliances such as washing machines, fridges, or ovens in your rental property.

Just keep in mind that content insurance typically doesn’t cover your tenants’ belongings. Tenants are responsible for getting their own content insurance.

Rental Income Insurance

Rental income is the lifeblood of your property investment. Rental payments insurance protects you from loss of rental income due to specific events, like a tenant breaking their lease early or your property being uninhabitable due to damage.

This insurance will ensure you continue to receive a steady income stream, even when unforeseen circumstances occur. It provides crucial financial support, helping you meet your mortgage payments and other property-related expenses.

Liability Cover

Liability coverage is one of the most vital types of landlord insurance. It covers you for legal liability if someone is injured on your property and decides to take legal action against you.

And in an increasingly litigious society, having liability cover can save you from potentially hefty legal costs. Being able to claim landlord insurance to cover these costs will help protect your finances and your reputation as a landlord.

How to Choose the Right Type of Landlord Insurance

Choosing the right type of landlord insurance boils down to understanding your needs and the potential risks you might encounter. It’s about finding a balance between the level of coverage you want and the price you’re willing to pay.

Consider the nature of your property, the likelihood of extreme weather events, the value of your building and contents, and the reliability of your tenants. It’s also worth seeking advice from insurance professionals or other experienced landlords.

Remember that the cheapest policy is not always the best. Make sure you read the fine print and understand what’s covered and what’s not.

To fully protect yourself, it’s best to cover all your bases and get coverage that protects your rental income, building, liability, and contents. Comprehensive insurance can give you peace of mind, knowing you are protected against a wide range of risks and losses as a landlord.

Key Takeaways 

  • Get comprehensive coverage to protect rental income, building, liability, and contents. This provides the most complete protection.
  • Compare policies and pricing to find the right balance of coverage and cost.
  • Read the fine print to understand exactly what is and isn’t covered.

To get a customised landlord insurance quote, contact Duo Insurance today.


What Kind of Landlord Insurance Do I Need?

The type of landlord insurance you need depends on your specific situation and goals. Most experts recommend getting comprehensive landlord insurance to protect your rental property investment fully. 

This policy allows you to submit a landlord insurance claim for building and contents damage, loss of rent, and liability cover al in one package. It protects against property damage, loss of income, tenant issues, lawsuits, etc. Comprehensive landlord insurance gives you the most complete coverage.

What Does a Landlord Insurance Policy Include?

A standard landlord insurance policy includes building insurance to cover the physical property, contents insurance for any furnishings provided, loss of rent insurance to cover lost income from vacancies, and liability insurance to protect against injury claims. 

Additional cover may include malicious damage by tenants, flood, fire, storm damage, and tenant theft. 

Policies vary, so make sure yu check what is included.

Is Landlord Insurance Different To Building Insurance?

Yes, landlord insurance differs from regular building insurance in a few key ways. Landlord insurance offers broader protections tailored specifically for rental properties and the risks landlords face. It covers not just the building but also loss of rental income, contents, liability claims, and damage by tenants. Building insurance only covers the structure itself.

What Should Good Landlord Insurance Cover?

Good landlord insurance should cover your building, any contents provided, loss of rental income, legal liability, malicious damage by tenants, theft by tenants, and flood, storm, and fire damage. It should cover all the major risks associated with owning and renting out property. Standard landlord insurance policies with comprehensive coverage provide the fullest protection.

What Is Covered In Landlord Insurance in Australia?

Standard landlord insurance in Australia covers the building, contents, loss of rent from vacancies, legal liability, and damage from storms, floods, fires, and more. Malicious damage by tenants may also be included. Premium policies can be expanded to cover tenant theft, pet damage, or loss of rent from tenant hardship. Coverage varies between policies.

Ready to get insured?

Our friendly staff are ready to answer any questions.